Are you traveling to Greece in 2024 and you are looking for cheap hotels in Santorini? This post is all about the best cheap hotels in Santorini that are: great value for money, have beautifully decorated rooms, with friendly staff, and are located in the best possible sea/caldera views of stunning Santorini.
Santorini island is located southeast of Athens, close to Crete, and belongs to the Cyclades group. It is in the top five most popular Cycladic islands along with Mykonos, Paros, Naxos, and Milos, and is one of the most stunningly beautiful Greek islands.
Read below my choices for the best Santorini budget hotels as well as brief info on the villages they are located in:
*Some of the links below are affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you click and buy. The commission comes at no additional cost to you!
Cheap Hotels in Santorini
Find in my Santorini Map, all the best villages and towns to visit while you are on the island. As you can see, the western part of the island is the caldera (the sunk part of Santorini) with striking sunset views. This is a very popular area and as you may imagine the most expensive one.
However, there are cheap hotels and apartments in Santorini that you can book and will not break the bank 😀 !
Cheap Hotels in Santorini: Tips and Recommendations
- Santorini is a very expensive island and what is considered cheap in Santorini may be mid-range to other areas in Greece. However, you can book a cheap hotel in Santorini just not leave it as a last-minute thing: book at least 6 months in advance to get the best deals
- The farther from the caldera, the cheaper the hotel/tavern/restaurant!
- Money-saving tips for food: buy food from the local supermarket. Buy a souvlaki or two with pita for lunch and choose a tavern away from the caldera. The inland villages have some great taverns that you should visit, not only for their better prices and great food but also because they offer a more authentic experience of real Santorini.
- Best Budget Hotels in Santorini:
- One of the best inexpensive tours in Santorini is the Santorini Volcano & Hot Springs Tour
Cheap Hotels in Fira Santorini
Fira, Santorini’s main town is built high on a 400m (1312 ft) caldera on the western part of Santorini. From Fira, you can admire a panoramic view of the 18-kilometer (11-mile) long caldera plus the volcanic island Nea Kameni located right across from Fira.
However, it is also one of the busiest places in Santorini as everyone wants to be part of the packed solid shopping area and gets “lost” in the maze of winding backstreets.
See below the best budget hotels in Fira Santorini:
Alizea Villas & Suites
Alizea Villas & Suites is a very stylish hotel with a fantastic swimming pool, pristinely clean, and very friendly staff. The hotel is a few minutes away from the center of Fira and the bus station.
Danae Villa, is a small, quiet, and family-run hotel very close to the center of Fira. In the mornings you get a coffee and a cake in their beautiful, quiet garden, where you can simply sit and enjoy.
Anatoli Hotel is a very central hotel, a 5-minute walk away from bars, mini markets, and the caldera views. It is a beautifully decorated hotel, that also offers fantastic spa treatments. You can enjoy the generous breakfast at the lovely outside area and pool.
Costa Marina Villas is a fantastic, family-run, family-friendly hotel with beautiful gardens. From the rooms, you can admire the view of sunrise and the sea. It is very close to the center of Fira with extra friendly staff.
Cheap Hotels in Oia
Oia is another world-famous Santorini village. The white-washed houses, covered in purple and pink bougainvilleas crisscrossed by tiny paved roads leading to the sea, create a magical canvas that will make you fall in love with Oia.
Oia is also located on Santorini’s caldera and it is one of the best places to stay in Santorini. See below some fantastic Budget Hotels in Oia Santorini:
Muses Cycladic Suites
Muses Cycladic Suites is a gorgeous property in Oia, off the main strip so nice and quiet but still with beautiful ocean views. A luxury feeling at a modest rate.
Pension The Flower is a fantastic colorful inn, with a great garden and a large swimming pool a bit out of Oia, which, trust me, is a good thing if you seek peacefulness. A bus stop is very close, and it has nice, clean spacious rooms with free parking.
Finikia Memories Hotel is a real gem in Oia. A stunning pool with sea views and exquisite sunsets, a generous breakfast, and the bus right outside the hotel. Whitewashed decoration and walls with cave-style rooms. Highly recommended.
Cheap Hotels in Imerovigli
Imerovigli is another breathtaking Santorini village located between Fira and Oia. It is famous for its caldera sunsets and its many lovely white churches and a much quieter place to stay. One of the best things to do from Imerovigli is to climb the impressive Skaros Rock!
Nefeli Homes in Imerovigli is a Cycladic-looking self-catering property at a stunning location overlooking the caldera. You will love spending quality time on its beautiful terrace and swimming pool with an exceptional view. Check out the Cave Suite!
Cheap Hotels in Firostefani
Firostefani is the natural extension of Fira to the north. Some of the best caldera-view restaurants and hotels are in Firostefani which is considered one of the most expensive areas to stay in Santorini. However, I have discovered a few fantastic cheap hotels in Imerovigli:
You will enjoy breathtaking caldera views as Remvi Suites is at a prime location in Firostefani. You will love the cleanliness, the friendly staff, and the wonderful breakfast with the sea views.
Smaro Studios is an amazing property facing the Santorini Caldera. You can have breakfast overlooking the stunning views of the cliffs and the Nea Kameni island across. A quiet property, 5 minutes away from the main road to Fira.
Afrodete Hotel is a lovely boutique hotel with just a few rooms so if you like this property book it early. It is located in the heart of Firostefani with very welcoming hosts and great Wi-Fi.
Cheap Hotels in Akrotiri
Akrotiri is an extraordinary place in the south of Santorini as it hosts the archaeological site associated with the Minoan civilization, the renowned Red beach, and the Akrotiri impressive Lighthouse.
Akrotiri is a 25-minute drive from Fira, making it a much quieter and much cheaper place to stay in Santorini without losing any bit of the stunning caldera views. Check below the best budget hotels in Akrotiri:
It is simply impossible not to love Kalimera Hotel in Akrotiri Santorini. An impressive round pool, very traditional furniture, and architecture, are within walking distance from Caldera Beach. A small kind family runs the hotel that provides everything you need with a great breakfast selection!
Akrotiri Hotel is a fantastic hotel, meters from the beach, with a lovely garden and terrace that overlooks the sea. The breakfast has a great selection, with free parking and a private small strip of beach right in front of the hotel.
Villa Maria Rooms is an exceptional property with an amazing breakfast. Every day it varies in small interesting ways. A smashing location with a sea view across to the Caldera and Fira and is very quiet just ideal for relaxing.
Hotels in Kamari Beach
Santorini Kamari Beach for the Mobility Impaired
There are over 130 beaches in Greece that have installed the Seatrac system so that people with mobility issues can have independent access to the sea. In Santorini, there are 2 beaches that you can choose from, Kamari and Perissa.
I couldn’t find a budget hotel in Kamari with facilities for people with mobility challenges. I highly recommend Costa Grand Resort & Spa, although it is not a budget hotel. It is a fantastic 5-star hotel, reasonably priced, located right in front of the beach and a few minutes away from the SeaTrak Mechanism.
Cheap Hotels in Perissa Beach
Perissa sandy beach is the famous black beach of Santorini, awarded with a Blue Flag. It is about 13 kilometers (8 mi) away from Fira, on the southeast coast of Santorini, and is easily accessible by car or bus.
It is a fully organized beach with sunbeds, umbrellas, plenty of seaside cafes, bars, traditional taverns and restaurants, all kinds of water sports, and a nice diving area. One of the best cheap hotels in Perissa is Philoxenia Hotel & Studios.
FAQ on Santorini Island
How was the caldera made?
Santorini Island suffered a tremendous volcanic eruption about 3600 years ago, at the peak of the Minoan civilization, one of Greece’s oldest civilizations. As a result, most of its western part sank into the sea, probably causing a gigantic tsunami.
Santorini is still an active volcano but only in the form of thermal waters in the caldera, a popular swimming spot.
How to Get around Santorini
If you are interested in fully exploring Santorini in the summer, and going to remote areas and central villages, then you will need a rental car. But if you only want to visit the most popular areas (Oia, Fira, Akrotiri) then the public buses connect everything. There might be long queues in July and August for buses and taxis are also very popular – sometimes hard to find – means of transportation in Santorini.
How to Get to Santorini from Athens
Santorini by Ferries
You can take the ferry from any of the Athens ports (Piraeus, Rafina, or Lavrion) to Santorini. The ferries will take 5 to 9 hours depending on the vessel you will be traveling with. The fastest the ferry the more expensive it will be. You can book your ferry transfer with FerryScanner to get the best prices in the market with no hidden fees. If you travel in the summer you have to book your seats well in advance.
There are two ports in Santorini. The ferries arrive at the port of Athinios (19.8 km from Oia), and the cruise ships dock at the old port of Fira. If you arrive in summer, there are going to be a lot of people off the ferry with limited bus and taxi capacity. You should have made arrangements with your hotel to pick you up from the port. If this is not possible book a private transfer here.
Flights to Santorini
If you prefer to go fast to Santorini, you can catch a flight from Athens International Airport. Several flights per day are going to the island during the high season.
What are the Best Things to do in Santorini
Santorini is a fascinating destination, just roaming its gorgeous alleys and the stunning view of the caldera will satisfy even the most demanding and experienced traveler.
Some of the best things to do in Santorini are:
- Marvel at its world-famous sunset of the Caldera
- Explore the gorgeous villages of Fira, Oia, Firostefani, and Imerovigli
- Dive into its volcanic black beaches
- Hike the spectacular Oia- Fira Caldera trail
- Explore 2 of the most important archaeological sites in Greece
For a detailed travel guide on Santorini Island visit my dedicated post here.
What to Wear in Santorini
This depends on the season you are visiting but anytime between May and October, essential things to have in Greece are:
- comfortable walking shoes as Greece is mountainous and archaeological sites with their marble floors can be slippery
- organic sunscreen to apply as often as possible
- UPF sun hat for all day out
- white linen shirt to cover up if you get very easily sunburned. I wear a linen shirt when I hike in Greece during the summer
- a CUPSHE Bikini for impressive beach appearances
- cotton beach towel
- and a beautiful dress for dining out
Plan My Trip to Greece
Do you need a custom travel itinerary for Greece? Are you traveling solo, with your family or friends and need a tailor-made multi-day tour or a transfer within Greece?
If yes, please visit my dedicated Plan My Trip Page for a free itinerary!
How to Get to Athens Port (Piraeus) from Athens Airport
- Bus: If you are arriving at Athens International Airport you can travel straight to the port by taking the X96 express bus (€5.5, children <6 yo, free entrance), which departs every 40 minutes and the average trip lasts 1 hour – runs 24/7.
- Metro: (€9) is easily found across airport arrivals (blue line – M3) going directly to Piraeus port. The average trip to Piraeus lasts 1 hour.
- Taxis are available in front of the airport (around €40 to Athens, €55-60 to Piraeus (depending on the traffic in Kifisos), and take up to 3 or 4 people with small luggage)
- Rent a car with Discover Cars to rent reliable new cars at affordable prices
- You don’t like driving but love hassle-free solutions? Book a Private transfer with an English-speaking driver from Athens International Airport to Piraeus Ferries, or anywhere else in Greece
- Are you looking for domestic flights in Greece? Check out the official Aegean Airlines Website.
Did you find the budget hotel you were looking for? Let me know what you did in the comments, I’d love to hear whether I managed to help you! Till next time, Evgenia❤️
Santorini Popular Posts
- 6 Santorini Best Diners for an Anniversary
- 12 Best Things to Do in Santorini
- 10-Days Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Naxos
- Greece Packing List – What to pack for a 10-day trip to Greece
Essential Greek Travel Info
- ‘Hello’ and ‘Thank You’ in Greek: “Ya sou” and “Efharisto”
- Booking.com: I use Booking.com because I can get the best deals on hotels and apartments, free cancellations, and great prices!
- All-Inclusive Resorts in Greece
- FerryScanner to book ferries to the Greek Islands
- Rent an Affordable Car in Greece
- Athens Metro Website (timetables and ticket info)
- Map of Athens Metro
- Trains (Hellenic Train)
- Public Buses KTEL
- Get Your Guide: For all your day or multi-day tours and city guide needs, I use Get Your Guide
- Emergency Numbers Anywhere in Greece: AMBULANCE 166 – FIRE 199 – POLICE 100– EMERGENCY NUMBER 112
All rights reserved, Travel the Greek Way. Republishing this article and/or its contents (photographs, text, links) is strictly prohibited.