There are several reasons why you should consider staying in one of the Athens hotels near the Airport. You may want quick and easy access to the airport, minimizing travel time and stress. This is especially true when you have layovers or early morning flights to the Greek islands or back home and want to ensure you won’t miss your flight.
Whether you’re looking to unwind before a long flight or you’re a business traveler seeking access to conference rooms and business services, these hotels cater to your needs. Whatever your reasons, discover in this post my choices for the best Athens hotels near the airport.
*Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you click and buy. The commission comes at no additional cost to you.
My Latest Video for Athens
1. Sofitel Athens Airport, Luxury
Sofitel Athens Airport is the only hotel situated at Athens International Airport, just a 2-minute walk from the main terminal and the Metro station. As an upscale establishment, it is renowned for its exceptional customer service. Key features include:
- Ideal for those with early departures, late arrivals, or tight layovers.
- Upscale and luxurious sound-proof rooms, ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
- Offers free parking, Greek and global cuisine restaurants, full accessibility, and amenities such as a spa and a free indoor heated pool with views overlooking the airport.
Athens Hotels near the Airport with a Free Shuttle
If you are not going to rent a car at the airport or would like to avoid public transportation then you can choose a hotel that provides complimentary airport pick-up. This service not only saves you the hassle of arranging transportation but also ensures a smooth transition from the Athens airport to the hotel, particularly in unfamiliar locations.
I have singled out 3 properties that offer a free Athens Airport pick-up:
2. Milo Luxury House
MiLo Luxury House is located in the charming town of Markopoulo, just 5 km (10 minutes drive) from Athens Airport, and offers free airport pick-up. Renowned as one of the finest Athens hotels near the airport, MiLo Luxury House ensures a comfortable stay for travelers. Key features include:
- As an entire home, MiLo Luxury House is an ideal choice for groups of up to 8 people. It also offers free parking if you have rented a car from the airport.
- The interior boasts modern, light-colored furniture, providing a spacious and inviting atmosphere.
- If you would like to explore the local life, the center of Markopoulo is a mere 450 meters from the property.
- Nearby amenities include bakeries, cafes, and shops. Additionally, the golden beaches of Porto Rafti are within reach, offering a perfect option for those who fancy a swim.
3. Holiday Inn Athens Attica Av, Airport W.
Holiday Inn Athens is located 13.5 km northeast of Athens Airport or a 15-minute drive away. The hotel offers a courtesy shuttle service from Monday to Sunday on a 24-hour basis. Key features of the hotel include:
- Stylish rooms with marble bathrooms and a rich American breakfast buffet.
- The hotel ensures a comfortable stay with amenities such as a fitness center, sauna, and an indoor swimming pool.
- Catering to both leisure and business travelers, it’s an excellent choice for an easy layover and is particularly well-suited for those on business trips. Conveniently situated near the exhibition centers of EXPO ATHENS, METROPOLITAN EXPO, HELEXPO Amarousio, and MEK Paiania, the hotel provides accessibility for various events and exhibitions.
- The hotel is a member of the Holiday Inn Hotel Chain.
4. Avra Hotel Rafina
Avra Hotel is another fantastic property near the Athens airport. It is located near the Rafina port and offers a picturesque retreat along the shores of the Aegean Sea. Avra Hotel also provides a complimentary airport shuttle service. Key features include:
- The comfortable rooms and suites are tastefully decorated, offering a perfect blend of modern amenities and a touch of traditional Greek charm.
- Guests can start their day with an American breakfast and indulge in culinary delights at the hotel’s restaurants, featuring Greek and Italian cuisine.
- The hotel is fully accessible, ensuring a comfortable stay for individuals with special needs.
- Rafina port is 200 meters away and is the second largest port after Piraeus. You can travel from Rafina to the Cycladic islands, Crete, and the north Aegean islands.
- Athens International Airport is a 30-minute drive from the Avra Hotel.
Seafront Hotels near the Athens Airport
5. Ramada by Wyndham, Athens Club Attica Riviera
Ramada by Wyndham is a distinguished 5-star beachfront hotel located in the area of Mati of Nea Makri. It is 3.7 km from the Rafina port, 17 km from Athens International Airport, and 37 km from Athens center. Because of its fantastic seafront location, Ramada is among the top hotels near Athens Airport, offering:
- Smartly and modern decorated rooms with finesse and class.
- A large garden with a terrace and balconies in each room.
- 2 swimming pools (one outdoor and one interior), a spa and wellness center, and a fitness center. Additionally, the hotel features direct access to a beautiful beach.
- Dining options are plenty, with an in-house restaurant and various taverns and restaurants within a short distance from the hotel.
- While an airport shuttle service is available, it’s important to note that it comes with an extra charge.
6. Dolce by Wyndham Athens Attica Riviera
Dolce by Wyndham stands as another fantastic beachfront hotel in eastern Attika, nestled in the Vravrona settlement. Its stunning location within a small bay, near a protected natural habitat, and in proximity to the impressive Archaeological site of the Artemis goddess, offers guests a unique and serene experience. It is only 15 minutes from the Athens International Airport. Its key features are:
- 346 guest rooms, suites, and bungalows, some with private pools, all tastefully decorated with a perfect balance of classic and modern chic.
- A vast seafront garden with a sandy beach, spas, tennis, and basketball courts, and three inviting swimming pools.
- It has four restaurants, each offering beautiful sea views, and you can start your day with an American Breakfast.
- The hotel is fully wheelchair accessible, ensuring inclusivity for all guests.
- Nearby Points of Interest: Archaeological site of Vravrona and a scenic hike in Chamolia beach.
- Ideal for long-term vacations as well as a sleepover to get to the Rafina port or the Athens Airport.
- Dolce has an airport shuttle service for an additional fee.
7. Villa PortoMare
If you’re in search of a stunning seafront villa near Athens Airport (12 km) that accommodates up to 10 persons, including your friends, children, and even your pets, Villa PortoMare is the perfect choice. Offering a picturesque setting, this villa has it all! Additional features include:
- A great private pool area complete with a BBQ, and a semi-private beach just below.
- Surrounded by a vast garden with pine and olive trees, the villa includes a private basketball court, a wooden terrace, and a balcony boasting amazing sea views—providing the perfect setting for privacy and relaxation.
- Inside, the villa boasts spacious, modernly decorated rooms, with a fireplace in the living room.
- This self-catering property allows for flexibility in dining choices, with restaurants, bars, and cafes just a short 3-minute walk away.
- It’s important to note that the villa doesn’t provide shuttle services to and from the airport.
Cheap Hotels near the Athens Airport
8. Varaba Country House (adults only)
Varaba Country House is a lovely accommodation that consists of five suites located just 4.5 km from the Athens International Airport and 3 km from Markopoulo Town. It provides an airport shuttle service available for an additional fee. Its key features include:
- It has a picturesque setting with a beautiful garden surrounded by olive and pistachio trees, and vineyards.
- The high-ceiling rooms, designed in a modern and artistic style, provide a serene and quiet environment for guests.
- This self-catering property offers flexibility, with the option of breakfast or dinner featuring homemade, traditional Greek flavors, available upon request and at an additional charge.
9. Carpe Diem near the Athens Airport
Carpe Diem is located just 4 km from the Athens airport and offers three beautifully decorated apartments. The apartments feature a delightful palette of light colors and spacious rooms, providing a restful stay in the quiet neighborhood of Markopoulo. Other features of the property include:
- Guests can enjoy a private yard or a balcony with a city view.
- Carpe Diem has an airport shuttle service for an additional fee.
- It is a self-catering property but there are plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby.
- Its rooms can host up to 5 people.
FAQ for Athens International Airport
Athens Airport Transfer to Athens Center
If you are wondering how to easily get to Athens center from the airport, these are your options:
- Metro: The Metro station offers a direct and cost-effective route to Athens landmarks like Syntagma Square or Acropolis. The normal price is €9 for one ride. The blue line – M3 will get you straight to the center in approximately 40 minutes. Be careful of your belongings, tourists are often targeted by petty thieves.
- Buses: Right outside of the airport terminal, they are easy to find. The cost is €5.5.
- Taxis (sedan cars) are readily available in front of the airport. The fare during the day until midnight is around €35 to €40 to Athens. It is more expensive if you travel during the night.
- You can rent a car. I use Discover Cars to rent reliable new cars at affordable prices.
- You can book (in advance) a Private transfer with an English-speaking driver from Athens International Airport to Athens.
I Have 6 Hours between Flights. What Can I Do?
It makes no sense to hang out at the airport for 6 whole hours. How many coffees and how much Facebook scrolling can you do, after all? It will get boring eventually.
Instead, consider walking right across from the main airport building and booking a room at the Sofitel Hotel for a few hours to rest and freshen up. Alternatively, you can leave your bags at Care4Bag inside the airport, which provides luggage storage services, and explore the area:
- Designer Outlet Athens in Spata, a 15-minute drive away, is perfect for a shopping spree.
- Retail Park near the airport: Just a 5-minute taxi ride away for a convenient shopping experience.
- Center of Athens: Take a quick walk around, allowing at least 2.5 hours for transportation back and forth, to explore the city or go shopping.
- Loutsa Beach: Head to Loutsa (or Artemida) Beach from the airport. Instruct the driver to take the service road for a more scenic route. Enjoy coffee, and fresh fish, and dip your feet in the water if the weather allows.
- Book a guided tour to Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon: Explore this spectacular site in the southernmost area of Athens for a memorable experience.
What is the Cheapest Way from Athens Airport to the City?
The most budget-friendly option to travel from the airport to Athens center is by taking the 24/7 express bus ‘X95.’ The general admission fare is €5.5, and it’s available at half price for passengers between 6 and 18 years old, students from EU countries, and EU residents aged over 65. Children below 6 years old enjoy free entrance. Opting for the ‘X95’ bus provides a cost-effective and efficient way to reach the heart of Athens.
Can I Rent a Car at the Athens Airport?
Absolutely! There are five rental car companies operating at Athens International Airport: Enterprise, Avis, Hertz, Budget, and Sixt. However, during high season, finding available cars might be challenging. I recommend booking your car in advance to secure your preferred vehicle. For trustworthy and affordable options, you can check out Discover Cars.
Athens Airport to Piraeus (Public Transport)
You can go to the Piraeus port using the following transportation means:
- Bus: If you are arriving at Athens International Airport you can travel straight to the port by taking the X96 express bus (€5.5), which departs every 40 minutes and the average trip lasts 1 hour – runs 24/7.
- Metro: (€9) is easily found across airport arrivals (blue line – M3) going directly to Piraeus port. The average trip to Piraeus lasts 1 hour.
Plan Your Next Trip to Greece with these Guides
- Greece Packing List
- First Time to Greece – Most Important FAQ
- Athens Hotels Near Acropolis
- Best Athens Beach Hotels
Essential Travel Info for Greece
- ‘Hello’ and ‘Thank You’ in Greek: “Ya sou” and “Efharisto”
- Booking.com: I use Booking.com because I can get the best deals on hotels and apartments, free cancellations, and great prices!
- All-Inclusive Resorts in Greece
- FerryScanner to book ferries to the Greek Islands
- Rent an Affordable Car in Greece
- Athens Metro Website (timetables and ticket info)
- Map of Athens Metro
- Trains (Hellenic Train)
- Public Buses KTEL
- Get Your Guide: For all your day or multi-day tours and city guide needs, I use Get Your Guide
- Emergency Numbers Anywhere in Greece: AMBULANCE 166 – FIRE 199 – POLICE 100– EMERGENCY NUMBER 112
All rights reserved © Travel the Greek Way. Republishing this article and/or any of its contents (photographs, text, links) is strictly prohibited.