Are you looking for the best cheap hotels in Athens near the sites? Are you planning your trip to Athens and you are looking for budget hotels near the Acropolis and the other monuments?
Find in this post some of the best cheap hotels in Athens, near metro stations and close to the Acropolis and other important Athens landmarks. The hotels include the popular Attalos Hotel with Acropolis views from its terrace to hidden gems like Noma Hotel, both close to Monastiraki Metro station.
I also provide information about which metro station is close to your hotel, how to get to Athens Port (Piraeus) from Athens Airport to get the ferries to the islands, and some tips for first-time visitors to Athens!
Up next I am going to tell you about my 6 favorite cheap hotels in Athens city center!
*Some of the links below are affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you click and buy. The commission comes at no additional cost to you.
Best Cheap Hotels in Athens
1. Attalos Hotel in Monastiraki
Attalos Hotel is not only one of the best budget hotels in Athens but you can also one of the hotels in Athens with an amazing Acropolis view.
Centrally located with Monastiraki train station being just 3 blocks afar, Attalos Hotel is great value-for-money accommodation in Athens. It has clean, tastefully decorated rooms, a wide variety of breakfasts, and stunning Athens views.
Just everything you need to feel welcomed, have quiet and restful nights all that in the very central Athens. And most importantly, at great prices.
What else is close to Attalos Hotel?
- Literally Everything!
- Athens Central open meat, fish, and spices market
- Monastiraki Square, Plaka, Ancient Agora, Roman Agora
- Psyrri area: go to Nancy’s Sweet Home – with many Greek traditional sweets
- In Psyrri search for Voliotiko Tsipouradiko, an ouzo and tsipouro small dishes tavern with seafood and fish
- For all the main Athens sightseeing you can walk from Monastiraki upwards to Plaka and Acropolis
- Check availability and prices for Attalos on Booking.
2. Mosaikon Hostel in Kolokotroni St.
Mosaicon is a minimalistic and modern Hostel in central Athens, located on one of the oldest market streets in Athens, Kolokotroni St.
This is a great Athens hostel that boasts very clean rooms and double-decker beds, comfortable spaces, with a common kitchen to socialize and have your breakfast.
Very friendly and helpful staff in a 24/7 reception, in a very safe area of Athens. A great choice, especially if you are a young person.
- A 5-minute walk takes you to throbbing Monastiraki Square, Metro station and Plaka Old Town- don’t miss visiting Ag. Eirinis sq and have a coffee there
- 2 streets away is Ermou St. one of the most commercial streets in Athens with brands like ZARA or Benetton
- Syntagma Sq and Greek Parliament is a 10-minute walk
- Souvlaki and Gyros shops, taverns, and sushi bars are all around the hotel for your meals
- Check availability and prices for Mosaikon on Booking.com
3. Noma, one of the Best Cheap Hotels in Athens
Noma Hotel is another great cheap hotel in Athens! It is very centrally located, very close to Monastiraki and Plaka, Athens’ old neighborhoods. Noma Hotel is housed in a recently renovated old Athenian House, with stylish decorations and traces of its old glamor.
The rooms are beautifully decorated with fine and artistic details, which you are definitely going to love.
What else is close to Noma Hotel
- The open vegetable, meat fish, and spices market in Athinas St. throbbing with people buying food for their homes (beware of your wallets/passports)
- Monastiraki sq, Ancient Agora and Flea Market
- Plaka, Anafiotika, Roman Agora, Adrian’s Library
- Ermou commercial st
- Greek Parliament is a 10-minute walk if you walk up Ermou St from Monastiraki
- Check availability and prices for Noma Hotel on Booking
4. Ariston Hotel
Ariston Hotel is a very clean and central hotel in Athens. It is 100 m far from metro station Larissa, and 2 blocks far from the newly opened Art Museum of Alekos Fassianos. Its Rooftop bar-restaurant has an excellent view of Athens, which is very impressive, especially in the evenings.
With spotlessly clean rooms, 24/7 reception open, friendly and welcoming staff, tasty breakfast, and options for lunch and dinner, you are going to love this great cheap hotel in Athens.
Check availability and prices for Ariston Hotel
5. Hotel Victory Inn in Victoria
Victory Inn Hotel is centrally located close to the Victoria metro station, just 4 stops from Acropolis. Victory Inn is a really remarkable Athens Budget hotel with beautiful rooms and comfortable beds, great to sleep in (heavy lush curtains keeping the sun out).
What else is around Victory Inn?
- 1 street away is one of Athens’ largest parks, ‘Pedion tou Areos’, great for your morning jogging or for a stroll
- National Archaeological Museum, along with the Acropolis Museum are the 2 most significant Museums in Greece
- Go to Pontiki Club, with Greek live music and amazing Greek food, 1 street far from the hotel
6. Cecil Hotel in Athinas St.
Cecil Hotel is one of the best cheap hotels in Athens, on the very busy street of Athinas. If you get a room on the top floor you will have a great view. And if you go to the terrace you will see the Acropolis. Super clean rooms with super friendly staff. The hotel is 5 minutes from Monastiraki, so the connection to the airport is perfect!
Athens Archaeological Sites
If you are visiting Athens for the first time, then you should buy the ‘package’ ticket that gives you access to 7 major sites for the current price of €30 which is valid for 5 days. The sites that you can visit are:
- Acropolis Hill and Slopes
- Ancient Agora of Athens and its Museum
- Roman Agora
- Hadrian’s Library
- Lyceum of Aristotle
- Olympieio (Temple of Zeus)
How to Get to Athens Port (Piraeus) from Athens Airport
- Bus: If you are arriving at Athens International Airport you can travel straight to the port by taking the X96 express bus (€5.5, children <6 yo, free entrance), which departs every 40 minutes and the average trip lasts 1 hour – runs 24/7.
- Metro: (€9 ) is easily found across airport arrivals (blue line – M3) going directly to Piraeus port. The average trip to Piraeus lasts 1 hour.
- Taxis are available in front of the airport (around €40 to Athens, €55-60 to Piraeus (depending on the traffic in Kifisos), and take up to 3 or 4 people with small luggage)
- Rent a car with Discover Cars to rent reliable new cars at affordable prices
- You don’t like driving but love hassle-free solutions? Book a Private transfer with an English-speaking driver from Athens International Airport to Piraeus Ferries, or anywhere else in Greece
- Check out a full post on Lavrio Port in Athens
Tips for first-time visitors to Athens
- Try the koulouri, a small round piece of bread usually with sesame and a Greek coffee and you become instantly a Greek local!
- If you are staying for more than a day in Athens buy the 30 euro combination ticket, valid for all the archaeological sites for 5 days
- If you are not squeamish about blood or fish smell visit the famous Varvakios Market, on Athinas Street, a 10-minute walk from Monastiraki Square an indoor and outdoor food market. The vendors sell fresh meat, fish, fruit, spices, and products from around the country
- If you have the time, besides the stunning Acropolis Museum, I highly recommend the National Archaeological Museum, the biggest Museum in Greece with ancient artifacts from all over the country
- Other significant Museums are the National Museum of Contemporary Art Athens (1 metro station far from Acropolis, at Fix Station) and Goulandris Museum, 5 minutes far from Panathenaic Stadium
- Across from the northern Acropolis exit, stands the Areopagus or Mars Hill where Apostle Paul preached
Athens Best Hotels and Apartments
Looking for the best hotels and apartments near old Athens Plaka and Acropolis Parthenon? Find in my complete list below the best accommodation in Athens for a really unique travel experience!
- Where to Stay in Plaka, Athens’ Old Town (Hotels and Apartments for 2023)
- Acropolis View Hotels & Apartments in Athens
- Best Athens Beach Hotels (By the Athens Riviera Coastline)
- Central Apartments in Athens (near Acropolis)
- Athens Budget Apartments
All rights reserved © Travel the Greek Way. Republishing this article and/or any of its contents (photographs, text, links) is strictly prohibited.
Plan Your Next Trip to Greece With These Guides
- Greece Packing List – What to pack for a 10-day trip to Greece
- First Time to Greece – Most Important FAQ
- Mamma Mia Greece Locations – All the mainland and island shooting areas in Greece
Essential Travel Info for Greece
- ‘Hello’ and ‘Thank You’ in Greek: “Ya sou” and “Efharisto”
- Booking.com: I use Booking.com because I can get the best deals on both hotels and apartments, free cancellations, and great prices!
- Find Long-Term Rentals in Greece: You will find the best prices in Flatio
- All-Inclusive Resorts in Greece
- FerryScanner to book ferries to the Greek Islands
- Rent an Affordable Car in Greece
- Athens Metro Website (timetables and ticket info)
- Map of Athens Metro
- Trains (Hellenic Train)
- Public Buses KTEL
- Get Your Guide: For all your day or multi-day tours and city guide needs, I use Get Your Guide
- Emergency Numbers Anywhere in Greece: AMBULANCE 166 – FIRE 199 – POLICE 100– EMERGENCY NUMBER 112
More Inspiring Reading on Athens
62 km of dreamy coastlines, sandy beaches and imposing scenery in Athens!