Updated September 4th, 2022 by Travel the Greek Way
You may wonder what I am talking about when I say ski Resorts in Greece, right? Does it ever really get cold in Greece?
It might come as a surprise to you but Greece is not just popular for summer vacations. Greece is also a spectacular winter destination with numerous outdoor activities.
A very popular activity between Greeks of all ages is skiing the high and steep Greek mountains which cover 80% of the country’s land (yes, Greece has many many mountains!).
The snow season in Greece usually starts in December and continues well till March. Sometimes, while I hike in late May or even early June a high mountain, I can still see the snowy northern peaks.
There are 19 organized ski resorts in Greece and most of the ski centers are located near important historic sites. A good example is the oracle of Delphi and the Parnassos ski resort which are in close and convenient proximity for a 2-day trip to Delphi.
In this post, you will find information about the 19 ski resorts in Greece, separated into three main regions: the Peloponnese, the central mainland, and northern Greece. You will also information on where to stay, the best sites to visit around the ski resorts, and a few basic driving tips in wintry and snowy Greece
*Some of the links below are affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you click and buy. The commission comes at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for more information*
Ski Resorts in Peloponnese Greece (3)
Kalavryta Ski Center Chelmos Mt
- Kalavryta is the biggest ski resort in the Peloponnese, 187 km from Athens. It has 8 lifts, 13 slopes, and a snowboard track at Vathia Lakka, with rails and half pipes.
- The slopes are at an altitude ranging from 1,700 to 2,340 meters, 20 km long, and great for all levels of skiing. There are even freeskiing slopes.
- There is a chalet (which needs some improvement), ski training, and gear renting shops available
Related Post: The Complete Adventure Guide to Kalavryta
Mainalo Ski Center Ostrakina
- Ostrakina is a plain on Mainalo Mt at 1600 m in the Arkadia region, 162 km from Athens. It has 3 lifts and 7 slopes surrounded by beautiful fir trees
- There is a chalet for snacks and hot chocolate, ski training, and gear renting shops
- Dedicated area for snowmobiles and snow tubes
Ostrakina Ski Resort
Ziria Ski Center
- Ziria Mt is 160 km from Athens and just 10 km from the traditional village of Trikala Corinthias. It is a small ski center at 1500 m with 2 lifts and 2 slopes, ideal for beginner skiers and families
- There is a chalet with a large open terrace overlooking the slope, perfect to sit when the sun is out
- Inside the chalet, you can rent ski gear, and snowmobiles or organize mount ski for groups
Central Greece Ski Resorts (3)
Parnassos Ski Center Fterolakka & Kellaria
- Parnassos ski Resort is the most organized and cosmopolitan ski center in Greece. It is located 182 km north of Athens in impressive nature. It has 13 modern lifts and 23 slopes. Liakoura Peak is at 2457m
- There are 2 connected centers, 1 in Fterolakka and 1 in Kellaria, both with chalets.
- There are plenty of shops to rent or buy ski gear, restaurants, and cafes
- Nightlife in Arachova village
Do you need help with organizing a trip to Parnassos? Send me your inquiry at email@example.com
A private tour with the travel expertise of Viator in UNESCO Delphi, Arachova, Parnassos Ski resort, Pelion villages (Portaria, Tsagarada), Thermopylae! Check it out for availability and prices on the Viator site: 4-Days Arachova Volos and Pelion Private Tour from Athens
Velouchi Ski Center
- Velouchi ski resort is 284 km northwest of Athens and 12 km from Karpenisi town. It has 5 lifts and 15 slopes at 1850 m in height.
- There is a chalet, shops to rent or buy ski gear, restaurants, and cafes
- Ski training for both adults and children
- Best night ski slopes in Greece – for night ski lovers.
Velouchi Ski Resort
Pelion Ski Center Agriolefkes
- Pelion Ski Center in Agriolefkes is 346 km north of Athens and 239 km from Thessaloniki. It has 5 lifts and 5 slopes, one is Lang-Lauf, at 1471 m in height.
- There is a chalet, shops to rent or buy ski gear, restaurants, and a cafe
- Chania village is close if you prefer a traditional tavern
- Ski training for both adults and children
Ski Resorts in Northern Greece (13)
As you travel to the north of Greece, the possibility of snow and finding a ski resort increases substantially! There are 13 ski resorts in the northern part of Greece, covering large Greek regions such as Ipiros, Macedonia, and Thrace.
Some of the Greek ski resorts are quite small, and they may not be included in this list, but they are all worth visiting as they are always set in stunning nature with lots of other things to do in the area.
Olympus Ski Center
- Olympus Mt Ski Center in Vryssopoules (2450 peak) is unique not only because it is located in the highest and most famous Greek mount. The Olympus ski center belongs to the Greek army. However, it is open to the public every weekend between 9 am-3 pm
- There are 2 easy slopes, 2 km each, 2 one-person lifts, and 1 baby lift. There is also a cafe where you can visit. Parking is allowed at a designated area about 15 minutes’ walk far from the center.
Pertouli Ski Center
- Pertouli Ski Center is a small center set in one of the most beautiful natural environments in Greece. Ideal for beginners and families is located 375 km north of Athens and 256 km from Thessaloniki.
- It has 3 lifts and 3 slopes, at a 1340 m height peak
- There are 3 chalets to visit and a shop to rent or buy ski gear
- It has a large parking area and almost never has any access problems due to heavy snow
Anilio Park & Profitis Ilias
- Anilio Park in Metsovo (peak 1850m) is 448 km from Athens and 212 km from Thessaloniki
- It has 5 lifts and 9 slopes
- There is a chalet and you can rent ski gear from the center
- Ski and snowboard lessons are available
What to Visit
- The second nearby ski center of Prophitis Ilias is ideal for families and ski beginners
- Metsovo town
- Monastery of Zoodochou Pigis
Where to Stay
- Katogi Averoff Hotel & Winery is a traditional hotel with cellars that guests can visit and taste fantastic Greek wine (wine tasting after your skiing not before!)
Vasilitsa Ski Center Grevena
- Vasilitsa Ski Center (peak 2150m) is 458 km north of Athens and 211 km from Thessaloniki. It has 7 lifts and 17 slopes and has snow almost all winter
- There is a chalet with a bar, cafe, restaurant, and gear to rent
- Vasilitsa is one of the best ski resorts in Greece with excellent quality snow
Seli Ski Center
- Seli Ski Center is in Veria (peak 1530m), 529 km north of Athens and 95 km west of Thessaloniki. It has 11 lifts, and 17 slopes, 2 of which are langlauf.
- There is an impressive chalet with a pointy roof. There are shops to rent or buy ski gear, restaurants, cafes, and hiking shelters
3-5 Pigadia Ski Centre Naoussa
- 3 – 5 Pigadia Ski Center is 546 km north of Athens and 109 km from Thessaloniki. It has 6 lifts, and 12 slopes, 3 of which are cross-country slopes, at 2005m height.
- There is a chalet, a shelter, ski training, gear renting shops
- Panoramic views of Olympus and Voras Mt while skiing
- For 2021-2022 it will remain closed due to necessary renovations
Pisoderi Ski Center Florina
- Pisoderi Ski Center is very close to North Macedonia, 179 km west of Thessaloniki. It has 5 lifts and 13 slopes, and as it is lit until 1 am, you can ski at night as well
- I have been there during Christmas and I had a wonderful time – the snow was great too!
- The chalet is large with a restaurant and a cafe
- Easy access from the National Road
Lailia Ski Center Serres
- Lailia Ski Center is 110 km northeast of Thessaloniki. It has 2 lifts, 1 track of 1200m, a baby lift, and 1 beginner track at 1471 m in height.
- The center has a chalet with a restaurant, cafeteria, ski and snowboarding schools, gear, and snowmobile rental stores.
What to Visit
- Nature is magnificent all around the Lailia ski center. Visit its many stone old bridges and Vrontou villages
Where to Stay
- Stay in Serres town at Metropolis Hotel, a great place for a stopover and to enjoy Serres and its locality
Elatochori Ski Center Pieria
- Elatochori ski center has 10 slopes and 5 lifts, it is a well-organized center with provisions for all levels of ski experience
- There is a restaurant, a cafe, rent and buy ski gear shops, and ski teachers
- It is located at Pieria Mt at 1450 m, 7 km far from beautiful Elatochori village, 474 km from Athens, and 104 km from Thessaloniki
Kaimaktsalan Ski Center (Vora)
- Kaimaktsalan Ski Center is one of the best ski resorts in Greece with the highest peak at 2480m. You can find it 570 km north of Athens and 140 km from Thessaloniki
- It has 6 lifts and 14 slopes for all levels of ski expertise
- There are 2 chalets, a ski lessons center, gear rent, snowmobiles, and a souvenir shop
Falakro Ski Centre Drama
- Falakro Ski Center is 346 km north of Athens and 239 km from Thessaloniki. It has 8 lifts and 21 slopes, some with big altitude differences, great for athletic events
- It has 3 chalets with a restaurant, cafes, and bar, gear rent shops, ski training, and facilities for large groups of visitors. It is very close to the Bulgarian borders
FAQ for Driving in Greece in Winter
- If you are a citizen out of the EU, you will need an International Driver’s License to rent a car
- Always carry chains for your tires, you never know when the next crazy blizzard will find you
- Most of the country is connected by a highway system that uses tolls – open all the year through
- Belts are mandatory and you get a huge fine if you haven’t fastened them up
- Children should always be kept in their special seats, fastened, in the back seat
- Driving and talking on the phone also can give you a gigantic fine, use hands-free options
- The high-speed roads are in excellent condition. When you get off the main highways, the roads get significantly smaller and as all the ski resorts are on mountains, they may look a tad intimidating
- All the ski resorts in Greece have parking places and they keep the roads clear from too much snow or add some salt to make them less slippery.
- Do you wish to rent a car and get the best deal possible? Check, compare and save with the RentalCars.
Some of my Favorite Travel Resources for Greece
- Ferries to the Greek Islands: Book your ferry transfer with FerryScanner or FerryHopper, and get the best prices in the market with no hidden fees
- Athens Metro Website (timetables and tickets info)
- Map of Athens Metro
- Trains (Hellenic Train)
- Public Buses KTEL
- Booking.com: I use Booking.com because I can get the best deals on both hotels and apartments, free cancellations, and great prices!
- Get Your Guide: For all your day or multi-day tours and city guide needs, I use Get Your Guide
- COVID INFO FOR GREECE: Ministry of Tourism Official Website
- Emergency Numbers Anywhere in Greece: AMBULANCE 166 – FIRE 199 – POLICE 100– EMERGENCY NUMBER 112